Originally published on brightestyoungthings.com
Okay, so you should be come to our wonderful New Year’s Eve party RUMSPRINGA because haven’t we always wanted to take more than one sip of wine in a church while watching religious-themed go-go dancers and taking a tater tot communion? I think I just converted.
If you can’t make this party (honestly, how can you not? just look at that venue above) try these other shit shows on for size.
- Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue @ 9:30 Club – This would have been awesome if you could get tickets. It’s sold-out. 9:30 Club NYE always sells-out.
- Musiq Soulchild @ Howard Theatre – Kinda surprised this one isn’t sold-out. The tickets are more than reasonable, the performer is quality and the Trillectro after-party ensures a party. You may want to buy these ASAP.
- Dr. John and Wanda Jackson with Toy Soldiers @ The Hamilton – It’s impossible for a DC-based site to recommend Dr. John without mentioning Patton Oswalt’s bit about Arch Campbell. Now that that’s out of the way, Wanda Jackson is the rockabilly queen, Elvis girlfriend, Jack White’s collaborator and still a must-see.
- Jack Rose New Year’s Bash – Our favorite Adams Morgan bar has an early dinner event and a late open bar. $125 for an open bar seems like a high price, and it is, but $125 for a Jack Rose open bar is a very fair price.
- Nadastrom, Gent & Jawns, Jen Lasher @ U Street Music Hall – This will be awesome and you can get tickets. Keep things relatively low-key in an amazing sounding room with like-minded individuals. Tickets are only $10 and only available at the door.
The Future Is Now: NYE Celebration @ Little Miss Whiskey’s Golden Dollar – This will be awesome and you can get tickets and you have to be over 24. Really. 24 and over only. Music from Basscamp, Micah Vellian, Canine Teeth and Teszero and no one under 24.
- TNT! @ Haydee’s – If you come to Rumspringa and want more partying when we’re done, go to this. It’s low-key, soulful and consistently fantastic. You will sweat in the right way.
- All Things Go Presents New Year’s Eve @ Napoleon Bistro Lounge – You’re reading this site. If you’re not coming to our party, you’re probably going to this party.
- Slightly Stoopid @ Fillmore Silver Spring – If you don’t know/love this band, it may not be how you ring in 2014. On the other hand, Wale plays the Fillmore 1/1 and that’s not a bad way to welcome the new year.
- Peaches O’Dell & Her Orchestra @ Black Cat – It’s kinda great that the Black Cat doesn’t put on a loud ruckus on NYE. It wouldn’t be bad if it was a normal night of loudness, it’s just a nice change of pace that on NYE the very black, very good, very vegan friendly venue turns into a very classy destination for swing.
- NYE Scratch Off 2014 @ DC9 – It’s a normal open-bar, DJ night NYE but with a twist. Each party-goer will receive a scratch off card with the chance to win prizes from $100 gift cards to 2 for 1 drinks.
A Hot & Sweaty Holiday 4 You @ Busboys and Poets (5th and K) – A bit of improv, a few short films, some stand ups, all for Bread for the City.
- NYE Bash @ Looking Glass Lounge – No cover, $4 shots and everything you love/hate about the Petworth bar on a ‘holiday.’
Sam “The Man” Burns + DJ Underdog @ Tropicalia – No cover, no party favors, no balloons, just another night at Tropicalia. Keep it simple.
- Melodime @ Jammin Java – Want to ring in the new year in the suburbs with a Southern band? Here’s a good option.
- Nylons and Neckties New Year’s Cabaret @ Illusions Magic Bar – We’re not recommending heading to Baltimore to welcome 2014. We’re especially not recommending welcoming 2014 in a magic bar. But Cherie Sweetbottom is on the bill and we do like her so you can do much worse than heading to a magic bar in Baltimore to welcome 2014.
- New Year’s Eve Masquerade Ball @ The Mansion On O – This is one of DC’s oddest spaces. It’s a house, it’s a restaurant, it’s a bar, it’s a performance space, it’s a place with more than a dozen doors that go nowhere. So if you’re going to go to a masquerade party on a night known for indulgence, you might as well do it in a place you can get lost. Forever.
Alchemical Records New Year’s Eve Extravaganza @ Tree House Lounge – If you’re enjoying what’s going on most weeknights at The Dunes or the Wonderland Ballroom and want something low key, this is for you.
- Freedom’s Eve @ President Lincoln’s Cottage – Celebrate the 151st anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation at President Lincoln’s Cottage. There are way worse ways to look to the future.
An Americana NYE featuring The Gladstones, Human Country Jukebox & The Shedkickers @ Gypsy Sally’s – The new Georgetown venue is looking way back to welcome the next 365 days. Haven’t checked out the space? Why not start at the end?
Vinoteca Champagne on the Plaza + New Year’s Eve Tasting Menu – Vinoteca’s outdoor patio is always when it’s relatively nice outside. They’re going to tent it for NYE so it’ll be packed even when it’s relatively bad outside.
- The Legwarmers @ The State Theatre – This sold-out. People want 1984 in 2014.
- Ultimate 80’s New Year’s Eve @ Empire Nightclub – Couldn’t get in to The Legwarmers but still want to party like it’s 1984 in 2014?
- New Years Eve Party @ Maté – Perfect for the couple that can’t get enough sushi, Latin American fusion and house music. Perfect.
CBE New Years Eve @ Long View Gallery – Perfect for the couple that really loves exposed brick industrial spaces.
Trummer’s on Main New Year’s Eve La Fete Rouge Dinner Party – When we went to Trummer’s in May we loved it. If you’re looking for something lower key in Clifton that isn’t just a champaigne toast, this is an excellent option. Also, what other options do you have in Clifton, Va?
- BLASTOFF: A New Year’s Eve Space Oddity @ Mova – A cheap cover, blow up toys, mandatory DJs and a heated roof deck. Roofs aren’t bad.
- NYE Fur Ball Extravaganza @ District Architecture Center – What’s a “Fur Ball Extravaganza”? We read the event description multiple times and it seems like a regular party but regular party’s don’t have ‘fur ball’ in the description. WHAT IS THIS?
- New Years Eve with the Great Larry Willis Quartet @ Twins Jazz– Show everybody your jazz hands! Later if you get lucky you can show everybody your other j hands. Gross.
A Romantic New Year’s Eve @ Ristorante Piccolo – This ‘romantic’ evening includes a four-course meal. In certain alternate realities, four courses of heavy food = romance.
- New Year’s Eve 2014 Bash @ Tuscana West – This NYE event also includes a four-course meal. It does not advertize itself to be romantic.
- Downtown Countdown @ Washington Hilton– This is the kind of party for people who really love to count, or for people who count maybe. There will be dancing and drinking and comedy because when you are wasted you want to sit quietly in a room and listen to jokes.
- An International Celebration of Many Nations @ Omni Shoreham Hotel– This is the United Colors of Benetton of parties with 10 internationally themed room. Get your “people are all different let’s accept it,” on! And drink. Get that on too.
- Luxe New Year’s Eve @ BLT Steak DC – Do you like steak? A lot? Here’s your plan.
- New Year’s Eve James Bond 007 Gala @ Washington Plaza Hotel– You’re going to want your New Year’s Eve shaken, not stirred, and maybe have a new date every 10 minutes because God knows James Bond did.
- NYE White Wonderland Masquerade Ball @ Dupont Circle Hotel– This is for fans of Renaissance Festivals and Labyrinth.
- International Club of DC New Year’s Eve Grand Ball @ Ritz Carlton– A Great Gatsby style party without the prohibition. Obviously.
- Hyatt Regency Masquerade Ball– Masks and dancing and former Bachelor star Chris Bukowski. Yikes, hope that last name doesn’t mean he’s a womanizing alcoholic. Here’s a nice Chuck Bukowski quote to get us in the mood: “We’re all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn’t. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.” Fun!
- W Hotel Washington Midnight in Marakesh– Belly dancing I assume…and a lot of pillows.
- Park Hyatt Washington New Year’s Eve Party– It’s either Park Hyatt or Boardwalk Hyatt, either way you’re about to pass GO and will collect $200. Okay there will be a buffet, open bar and live music…close enough.
- Professionals in the City New Year’s Eve Gala– Get on your suit and tie, memorize those J. Timberlake songs because it’s about to get Profesh to Def up in DC…which is a new thing for The District. This party also includes speed dating which I hope means all dates have to stay above 50 mph.
- A Great Gatsby New Year’s Eve Party @ Capital Hilton– One of these Great Gatsby themed parties will end up being an Okay Gatsby party. We’ll let you decide.
- Inner Caucus & WHUR 96.3FM New Year’s Party @ Hilton Alexandria – This claims to be the most diverse party in DC. It’s putting the New back into New Year’s Eve.
- New Years Eve Riverbash @ Tony & Joe’s– Party by a river? It’s what Mark Twain would’ve wanted.
- Project NYE DC 2014 @ Sequoia– Had enough Gatsby yet? Looks like we have a North, South, East, AND West Egg party happening.
- NYE with The PJ Men @ Woolly Mammoth– Woolly Mammoth Theatre does it right and while they suggest you wear something bright colored I believe the name indicates we should all wear pajamas. Done.
Have a Happy New Year’s Skeeve you guys!